001 Game Creator Steam Demo

General discussion relating to everything 001 Game Creator.
Forum rules
The release date of the next version is completely unknown. Predictions are sometimes mentioned around the site, but they're always inaccurate. We're doing this for fun, so we enjoy not having deadlines.

Due to lack of time, feature requests and suggestions are currently not being taken by non-subscribers at this time.

Creating topics in this forum section has been disabled. If you would like to post questions concerning GG Maker, please post in the appropriate support forum.
Mike
001 Co-Founder

001 Game Creator Steam Demo

Postby Mike » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:53 pm

We'd like to make a demo available to new users on Steam. We were thinking of providing it with all the features of 001 (including 3D), but limiting it in appropriate ways. Namely, disabling building of your games. However, I was also thinking of limiting maps to 3, but we realized that the new 3D Demo has 18 maps in it. However, I could simply disable editing maps in a project that has more than 3 maps to solve that one case.

Anyway, just wanting a bit of feedback from people as to what they think would have helped them get into the project. I'd rather not have a completely free version like we once had, as that had most users not contribute to the project.

Fizi
001 Fanatic

Re: 001 Game Creator Steam Demo

Postby Fizi » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:03 pm

i think disabling building game is good enough. make people able to access all features. make them think "geez, this game creator iz good, i've finished my game and all i need is to publish it! damn, i need to get this for sho!" whats the point of building a finished game if you cant publish it.

but i think limiting things like you said is cool too, since not all projects get into publishing phase and people might abuse their hours just in demo version.

i'd stick with just disabling the ability to publish game. if people loved what they could create with the software, they'll absolutely get the full version to publish what they've created.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

JimmySterylian
001 Fanatic

Postby JimmySterylian » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:11 pm

The fact that the demo will have every available feature sounds amazing actually as it can give users a pretty good idea about 001's full capabilities. If they are satisfied with the engine and would like to get their games exported anytime soon, they will buy it.
However, having a limit of 3 maps is a relatively heavy restriction. What you could do on this aspect is increase map limit to 10 or even more(preferably 20 since it's closer to the number of maps of the 3D Demo), but also limit the amount of resources like Actors, Items, Zones, Doors, Speakers etc. that can be placed on each map. Those limits are entirely up to you Mike, that's my opinion, hope it helps :D

EDIT: If you think limiting maps to a whopping 20 is a bit much then maybe you should consider limiting the maps XYZ sizes as well.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Massive maps aren't really too useful, and it's not a big deal.

I'm going to go ahead with disabling building, disabling testing on mobile/browser, and limiting to 3 maps. The 3D Demo can be loaded and played, but any edits will bring up an error about editing a project with more than 3 maps.

That should be sufficient to get a good idea of what the maker is about. And we can keep releasing new demos and templates like we always planned :).

Rico
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Rico » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:43 am

Does the Steam demo still work? I've been installing it to make sure that engine001 in full will work on my new computer and I keep getting an error on opening the demo.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:10 am

Well of course it should still work! lol Do you have some details on the issue you're experiencing? Screenshots and/or messages that show up? More details the better.

Rico
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Rico » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:32 am

I sent the image via PM because it won't allow me to post on in this topic but basically every time I open the program it just immediately crashes and comes up with a error window saying map001 has stopped working.

It doesn't give any more information other than that, I've trawled the forum for fixes but none have worked so far:

- My windows is up-to-date
- My direct x 12 is up-to-date
- My drivers appear to be up-to-date

I've tried doing the on-screen rendering fix you've suggested in the past to others but I can't seem to find a 'SETTING.INI' file in the steam demo folder.

Also this problem is definitely a computer side issue as I tried downloading the steam demo onto a friends laptop to test it and it worked perfectly fine on theirs...

Thanks in advance :)

Grisson
001 Admirer

Postby Grisson » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:43 pm

I think that you can just disable some advanced events (networking, Steam, etc) and the building game features, would be great for a demo. ;)
Visite o primeiro grupo de Engine 001 do Facebook! Engine 001 - Brasil

Return to General 001 Discussion