Debugger

General discussion relating to everything 001 Game Creator.
Forum rules
The release date of the next version is completely unknown. Predictions are sometimes mentioned around the site, but they're always inaccurate. We're doing this for fun, so we enjoy not having deadlines.

Due to lack of time, feature requests and suggestions are currently not being taken by non-subscribers at this time.

Creating topics in this forum section has been disabled. If you would like to post questions concerning GG Maker, please post in the appropriate support forum.
Mike
001 Co-Founder

Debugger

Postby Mike » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:56 pm

We've been working on this feature for quite some time. It's been a feature that a few of the primary beta testers used, but it was mainly developed for me to deal with bugs in games. Now with a bit more resources, we've been able to make it far more polished and have all the features I wanted.

This feature will allow you to debug your games. That is, while playing your game, you'll be able to enable some cheats, work with maps/interfaces/actors/fields, access variables/switches/collections/tables, deal with players and party members, view active screens, enable/disable input sets, monitor scripting logs and statistics, be notified of triggers, and watch any variable/use value and break when it's a certain value.

Most of this is now available to subscribers to try out today :) ! More will be finished and more will be added over time.

Cheats
This is pretty self-explanatory once you see the following picture:
cheats.png
cheats.png (5.2 KiB) Viewed 78880 times

Objects
The following screenshots shows a bit of what you're able to view and edit right when you need to:
objects-actor.png
objects-field.png
objects-field.png (9.1 KiB) Viewed 78880 times
objects-map.png
objects-map.png (7.66 KiB) Viewed 78880 times

You're also able to reset maps/interfaces and/or display them at will.

Variables
This is probably one of the more common features found in a debugger (and in other makers' debuggers). This allows you to change switches and variables. This also allows you to edit the contents of collections and tables while playing a game:
variables.png
variables.png (5.42 KiB) Viewed 78880 times
table.png
table.png (4.75 KiB) Viewed 78880 times

Player
Here you can add/remove party members and access their level, experience, money and points:
player.png
player.png (4.75 KiB) Viewed 78880 times

It also works with (local) multi-player.

Screen
When you're doing more advanced screen features, like using camera view fields, this becomes very useful for narrowing down issues. You're also able to change views and camera stuff of the main screen as well, of course:
screen.png

Input
Simple, boring:
input.png
input.png (2.01 KiB) Viewed 78880 times

Log and Triggers
The log window will show everything that showed up at the bottom (including scripting errors). The trigger window will show everything that was last triggered in terms of actor triggers and system triggers.

Delayed Events
This window will list all the current events that are being delayed. For example, when you use "Delay" or "Wait for Camera", it will show up in this list. You're able to delete them if so desired.

Stats
This will show you all sorts of stats. Will be adding more as time goes on:
stats.png
stats.png (7.25 KiB) Viewed 78880 times

Watch
This window is quite powerful. You'll be able to monitor any variable, switch, collection, table, use value, map/interface variables, etc... anything that can be accessed through scripting. You'll also be able to tell the engine to break when a condition is met.
watch.png
watch.png (5.4 KiB) Viewed 78880 times
break.png
break.png (4.15 KiB) Viewed 78880 times

serrafina
001 Forum Master

Re: Debugger

Postby serrafina » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:28 pm

Sweet! This would definately help people beat games and activate codes or cheats along gameplay or series for different versions.

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:34 pm

Not quite sure, but I think the Debugger is only available for when you test your game through the editor. Don't think it'll be useable from within a compiled game.

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:46 pm

Your right dunce, the debugger can only be used while editing your game.
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

EndoSkull

Postby EndoSkull » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:30 pm

Available Today? - Today Today?

Is this available in the May download? I Only see that as available for download

Or do you mean later today? Or am I missing how to access these features?
Thanks!

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:51 pm

It means it's coming today and give it a few hours still, just finalizing.

haraldx
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby haraldx » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:00 am

Hooray, no more full maps with invisible places that execute a script just to test something!

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Postby Lucifiend » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:24 pm

This would definitely eliminate my debug interface. As useful as it is, its a pain to constantly setup.

Not Me
001 Subscriber

Postby Not Me » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:28 am

That looks quite useful. I like it! :D
The above image is totally not a link to my website.

K-Pone
001 Forum Master

Postby K-Pone » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:36 am

Yay, Whitebox testing. Finally
Squatrominati (Lumines Clone) Click Here Image

Next

Return to General 001 Discussion