creating a board game

Talk about your gameplay idea, characters that will be featured and develop your stories in this forum dedicated to games that are just a faint glow.
Dempski77

creating a board game

Postby Dempski77 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:53 pm

i am creating a board game on paper and creating a prototype with card board pieces. i was thinking of making the game into a video game when i am done. but i was wondering if board games made in to video games are very popular? and if so would you play a board game video game? i do not wish to say what my game is about because i am not done yet but the board game will require objectives and the main goal is to escape and is up to 4 players. when a player gets to the escape to win the game they can decide to leave and escape or they can wait for the other players to escape also but if a player decides to escape then all other players lose. but if they wait and other players escape with the self detruct going off or being killed by stalker then they can all escape as a team.

so any feeback i welcome. many thanks.

Arseo
001 Subscriber

Location: Somewhere between The Dark Side of the Moon and Silent Hill

Re: creating a board game

Postby Arseo » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:35 am

It would depend on how you plan to do it.

For the record, and to be 100% perfectly honest, I don't believe they are popular anymore. I remember playing them twenty-some-odd years ago on my old SNES with my older sister (Clue, Monopoly, The Game of Life, etc.) and I remember my little sister having some on PC during the very early 2000's, but I really haven't seen any since.

That being said, and going back to my opening statement, it depends on how you do it. If you are talking about making a physical board game and then making a digital equivalent with no changes other than the board and pieces being digital, I don't believe it would ever go anywhere. However, if you changed it up and made a game "based" on said board game, it could. For example, you could something similar to the Zero Escape franchise and require the players to solve puzzles to escape, which is honestly what I thought of when I first read this.

Can't say much more or give any other opinions without knowing more about the project.
There was a website here. It's gone now.

twitchcoe
001 Subscriber

Postby twitchcoe » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:37 am

I don't see why a board game would be a bad idea! There is definitely a large number of 20-30 something adults that are quite into tabletop or card games, and if Mario Party is anything to go off of when it comes to the popularity/enjoyment of Video Board Games, I'd say if it's a fun game to play, it wouldn't matter to me if it was a board game. Especially being a multiplayer game, I've always enjoyed the types of games where you can choose to screw over your friends heh. (Munchkin, Exploding Kittens, etc.) The idea you have, without too much detail, sounds like a decent premise to go off of.. I'd definitely be interested in seeing what it turns out to be!

evs
001 Admirer

Postby evs » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:33 am

i think theres room for 'hotseat' games. this is when you can play multiplayer with just 1 controller, people taking turns. so i think its a fine idea. could even be super effective on a large tablet sat on the coffee table between friends. sortof defies the point of making both versions though. id focus on one.

Return to Game, Story and Level Design