Controller Triggers

Report any problems that may have occurred while using 001 Game Creator.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Controller Triggers

Postby Zhuge » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:26 am

Is there a way to retrieve the value of each individual trigger instead of the combined value of both (the Z Axis)?

I'm using a 360 controller, to be specific. Not sure if this is an issue with other pads.

dragonnutds
001 Subscriber

Re: Controller Triggers

Postby dragonnutds » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:32 am

ya, i ran into this problem too. i thought 001 switched to xinput when they changed the way inputs work. but it still seems to be directinput still.

and microsoft made xinput claim the triggers are one axis in directinput mode....

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:22 am

Yeah, assumed you could use the Rotation Z option for this purpose (similar to how other axis values are used for the left stick, and rotation for the right) -- but apparently it does literally nothing on this controller. Like even after fiddling with the thing in every way possible, I still haven't managed to change its value from -1. What is this used for anyway? :?

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:15 pm

This looks like a bug. The use-value
Code: Select all
Joystick.Z
should return the position of the left throttle trigger, and
Joystick.RZ
should return the position of the right throttle trigger. Currently its combining both values into
Joystick.Z
(Rest is 0, one in is -1, both in is 0, other one in is 1) This isn't how this should behave.

Tested using a PS4 controller linked up through an input mapper which emulates a 360 controller. As well, here's how it appears in windows:
http://puu.sh/uTuTY/6f573dae07.png
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

dragonnutds
001 Subscriber

Postby dragonnutds » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:13 pm

if it is a bug and not directinput i hope it gets fixed in the next release, having the triggers be a shared axis is really limiting.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:42 pm

I just checked the code, and there are no typos. Maybe check all the values, including sliders, to see if there's something you're missing. It could just be redundant information on some of the use values.

dragonnutds
001 Subscriber

Postby dragonnutds » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:34 pm

i tried every single input, sliders are always 0 and RZ reads -1 always. Z reads both merged, which is directinput emulation behavior.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:34 pm

Is there anything planned to resolve this issue? If not, I could potentially change up my control scheme (though I'm assuming this is specific to this controller anyway).

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:36 pm

There isn't anything I can do unfortunately with how it's all setup. There's a newer version of DirectInput but I can't access it from my development platform.

dragonnutds
001 Subscriber

Postby dragonnutds » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:38 am

if you are using directinput I think the issue will never be fixed.
its a limitation of xbox controllers deliberately being screwy (thanks Microsoft -_-)

"Games have always assumed that DirectInput device axes are centered when there is no user interaction with the device. However, the Xbox 360 controller was designed to register minimum value, not center, when the triggers are not being held. Older games would therefore assume user interaction." (this assumption ignores pedals in driving wheel setups btw)
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee417014(v=vs.85).aspx

Return to Bug and Error Reporting