Resource Making Tips!

Discussion pertaining to resources, stories/characters and gameplay ideas in this forum dedicated to games that are just a faint glow.
Forum rules
Do not create a topic offering to produce resources. Click here for the reason.

Please use above resources section of site so everyone can have access to the resources you create.
Crusader2
001 Admirer

Resource Making Tips!

Postby Crusader2 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:03 pm

Hey, I've been noticing some resources floating around here which, when the appear to be high quality at first, turn out to be lower quality than some people would think. I'm not saying that these resources are bad, I'm just saying that they could be better. So, here are some tips I used whenever I made a resource, even though I didn't make many. ;)

1. Eliminate the Edge! (By Crusader2)

Far too many times I've seen a potentially great resource brought down to the lowly level of average because of a very thin and hardly noticably white edge surrounding it. What most people don't realize is that, when you use a real picture of something to base a resource off of, there is a blur caused on the edge of the object. When you are zoomed in, the edge just looks like any other pixel, and most people don't ever think of it as more. HOWEVER, when you zoom out, there is a faint edge surrounding your image that is caused by that blur. So, it is best to eliminate exactly ONE row of pixels from the edge of an object. This should either eliminate or drastically cut down the edge surrounding the object.

2. Not too Perfect! (By Crusader2)

Sometimes it is better to make some imperfections in a resource so as to retain the idea that it is in a video game. In 3d modeling, modelers smothe out the edges of a box so as not to give it perfect, clean cut, razor sharp edges which don't exist in real life, unless it's the edge of a kitchen knife or something. Similarily, something should not look exactly lifelike because it stands out too much from the rest of the game. Objects need to blend in with everything else unless they are made to stand out.

3. Keep it in Style! (By Crusader2)

When making a game, it is best to try and keep all of the resources at about the same quality. If one object looks like it came straight out of real life, then ALL of the objects should look like that. Unless you want to make new characters, you should keep everything at about the same quality as the character; make it look like it was made one pixel at a time. There are a multitude of different ways to do this, such as creating a blur or any other effect. Use something other than MS Paint, just because it is incredibly limited. I reccommend GIMP. I haven't tried it yet, but have heard that it is amazing.

4. Test it Out! (By Blood Raven)

You made the resource, but didn't take the time to test it to see if it works properly. This causes the downloader trouble, and makes him or her angry. I've seen a few resources, not going to name them, where the holding frames are all jacked up. Or on some environments the collision rectangle is too small, or too large. Or there is no ammunition item.

5. Symbol! (By Blood Raven)

I've seen symbols on resources that are great, or real images, awesome! But please, if you took the time to make the symbol great, make the actual resource good too. Or if the symbol is real, try to make the actual look real.

6. Use shading! (By ZhugeLiang)

Shading is the process of lighting and darkening the same color when adding layers to make an object look more realistic. Many people just outline in black then fill in with the color of choice. This makes the resource look really plain and like you didn't put in any effort into what you were making. By taking the time to shade, the quality of your resource goes up, and more people are likely to download it.

7. Textures! (By Scaveleon)

Either make your game full of textures, or drop it completly. Think about a game which doesn't fit together because some things are textured, where others are not. If you plan on using textures, it's best to use it everywhere.

8. Be Reasonable! (By Mr. Numbers)

Dont use an out of the ordinary item unless its really needed in your game. Like lets say you are making a realistic war game, don't make a giant hot dog come out of no where and kill you. It just does not blend in.

9. Realism! (By shadowwarrior)

If you are making an RPG Game, don't have a computer or TV in your maps! Make your resource in a normal program first, then take them higher into a more experienced prgram, like GIMP or Photoshop. You can add great stuff, like lighting, blur, wet things and so on with these programs!
Last edited by Crusader2 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:01 pm, edited 8 times in total.
You have been... NOOB SLAPPED!

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Re: Crusader2's Resource Making Tips!

Postby Mike » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:08 pm

Sweet, keep adding to this as people posts their own suggestions - that would rock, and I'll make a sticky if you agree :).

Crusader2
001 Admirer

Re: Crusader2's Resource Making Tips!

Postby Crusader2 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:00 pm

Sure, but you can take my name out of the title, since this will now be a communtiy thing. I have some more tips, but am drawing a blank as to what they are right now,

Blood Raven
Ultimate 001 Member

Re: Resource Making Tips!

Postby Blood Raven » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:47 pm

Symbol.

I've seen symbols on resources that are great, or real images, awesome! But please, if you took the time to make the symbol great, make the actual resource good too. Or if the symbol is real, try to make the actual look real.

Resource doesn't work.

You made the resource, but didn't take the time to test it to see if it works properly. This causes the downloader trouble, and makes him or her angry. I've seen a few resources, not going to name them, where the holding frames are all jacked up. Or on some environments the collision rectangle is too small, or too large. Or there is no ammunition item.
...I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was

SOCAS

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:32 pm

Use shading -
Shading is the process of lighting and darkening the same color when adding layers to make an object look more realistic. Many people just outline in black then fill in with the color of choice. This makes the resource look really plain and like you didn't put in any effort into what you were making. By taking the time to shade, the quality of your resource goes up, and more people are likely to download it.

Crusader2
001 Admirer

Postby Crusader2 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:46 pm

Added.

Mike, when's that sticky coming? :D

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:18 am

Textures. Ugh...

Either make your game full of textures, or drop it completly. Think about a game which doesn't fit together because some things are textured, where others are not. If you plan on using textures, it's best to use it everywhere.

Crusader2
001 Admirer

Postby Crusader2 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:06 am

Updated. :D

Commander13CnC3
001 Enthusiast

Postby Commander13CnC3 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:21 pm

Cool.I'm no good with textures(like shading)so my game is probably going to apear dull.
I love RPG's and that's why I'm here. Please, please help me if I need it :)

sinjin48
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby sinjin48 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:05 pm

man, you gotta have shadeing!

use shadeing!
it`ll look very poor quality if there is no shadeing!
“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Next

Return to Resource, Story and Level Design