A Hello, and a few questions.

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
Mdev

A Hello, and a few questions.

Postby Mdev » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:42 pm

Hello everyone.

About 3 years ago I started making my very own MMO with C++, and lua for the scripting. It's been quite a journey, and I have accomplished quite a bit with it. I actually have a smooth running server with a functional client, and most gameplay elements working seemingly flawlessly.

What brings me here, is that to be honest, I am sick of writing c++ and trying to manage the massive headache that comes along with doing all of that from scratch.

I've been seriously considering putting that project on hold for a while and working with an engine. That's how I ended up here. It seems to me it would be a huge breath of fresh air to work with visual scripting for a while, as well as the premade functions (events) that comes along with a program like this one.

I do this for fun, not for some kind of fantasy of striking it rich or making a wow killer. :) So I don't mind putting the other project down for a while for a change of pace. I just enjoy making games in my spare time, and playing them! :D

Having said all of that, I'm on the search for an engine that meets what I'm looking for. I've read through the entire wiki, and if it holds true, then this thing is surely a gem :)

Please don't take offense to the "if". I don't mean it to be negative, it's just that I know that what is advertised in most places are not quite the end result.

I have a few questions about this engine.

1. It worries me a little that it is written in Basic. My focus is almost entirely on online play, how does this engine fare in the wild in an online multiplayer environment?

2. Has the networking had any real stress testing done? Any known online games that handle more than a few concurrent users? I'm curious if the engine itself, and the networking backend has the power to handle 100s of concurrent users if properly optimized, or if it is meant for more of a small 10-15 user game?

3. Am I limited to things such as pre made battle systems, camera orientations, movement, map size, or how items are handled?

More specifically, are there systems in place to handle:

- Large open world's?
- Drag and drop items that are instantiated into the world and can be moved around?
- 100% custom combat system with my own algorithms?

I'm just trying to get a feel for the engine to see if it's set up more like RPG maker (I'm not a fan of those kinds of limits), or if I have total control over these types of things.

Running out of time(on break at work), I'm sure I'll have more later.

Thank you for your time

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Re: A Hello, and a few questions.

Postby Mr.Numbers » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:37 am

Welcome! I'll try my best to answer your questions :)

1) I wouldn't worry. Of course there is always limitations but I believe you shouldn't worry all too much. Unfortunately there hasn't been any large scale testing of the networking, but as long as you don't have millions of people connecting to one server at the same time, you should not experience any issues. The engine handles networking using either TCP or UDP connections, and is pretty barebones. I can't exactly say what the general overhead is in terms of how much data is sent during each message, Mike (The Developer) would need to specify more on that.

2) There has been some small scale testing, but nothing done on a major scale. This really also heavily depends on your project. Naturally you are bottlenecked by either hardware or network speed, but poor optimization of your network code would really hurt things. For instance, if you have a huge cluster of enemies in one location (Say 50) and one player present, it would be fine since its 50 enemy data's being sent to one client. However, if you have say, 10 people that turns into 500 total enemy data connections.
With a little personal testing when developing the MMORPG template, at one point due to a bug we had the enemy movement data of around 500-1000 enemies being sent to around 5 players - The server didn't crash, however things did run really slow which is absolutely understandable :P

3) Battle Systems: People have made all sorts of custom systems, this I wouldn't be worried about
Camera: 45 degree, top down, platformer or fully customizable 3D mode with co-ordinate based positioning, so shouldn't be an issue.
Movement: Built in system with optional acceleration options which should be good for most, if not, all needs. You can always build your own though if these options don't suit your needs!
Map Size: Unfortunately there is a limiting factor here. The hard coded limit for map size is 3 million "Units". In the engine one unit is a 32x32 square. If this is not enough you CAN actually cram more than 32x32x32 pixels worth of information into a unit by reducing the zoom size of the asset, then zooming the camera in. This however will break some built in AI related stuff that is dependent on the 32x32 grid. If you're making custom systems though this shouldn't be an issue.
Items: You might encounter some limitations here, however nothing is really stopping you from creating a custom item system if the built in options aren't flexible enough.

As for the bullet points
Open Worlds: As long as you aren't cramming the entire world on to one map, and at least zone area's out you will be fine. There isn't any limitation I know of for the number of maps, just the maps individual sizes.
Drag and Drop items: You can create a custom drag and drop system by using actors. So when you want to "Draw" the item on the map and make it interactable you can spawn in an actor, then when you add it to the inventory destroy the actor and add the item to the inventory. Easy peasy!
Custom Systems: Absolutely! You can run any algorithms and scripts you want when an actor is "Hurt" by another actor, or via any other means. There is built in statistic values for actors as well, so its super simple to add in a new stat then modify the damage script.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask!
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

Mdev

Postby Mdev » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:43 am

Wow, thank you for the well thought out response.

I know that there are inherently some limitations when working with something like this, I was just concerned that after investing some time into it that I would be forced into a cookie cutter version of an rpg maker game. Haha.

I've ran into that issue with some of my recent research.

Anyhow, barebones TCP UDP networking actually should be plenty sufficient for most indie needs, no worries there.

After reading through tons of pages on the forums, and combing the wiki, I believe I've settled on this engine to add to my bag of tools :)

I would still like a little more technical info in terms of the messages being sent through the networking, if Mike would be so inclined as to give me a little rundown!

Youll be seeing me around here alot in the near future. Maybe after playing with it a bit I can be of some assistance in the community.

If you're looking for a stress tester, have no fear, I'll push this thing to the max on PC and Mobile both :D

I am a little curious though... am I missing something or is the community here sort of inactive ?

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Postby AnvilHouse » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:39 pm

More of the up to minute communication (along with more general chatting) is handled over in the Discord server, since forums have slowly lost popularity over the years
https://discord.gg/4sTJVV5

Feel free to stop by ;)
Image Image Image

https://www.patreon.com/Anvilhouse ...yes...I am on Patreon!

-The store is under construction-
All items are guaranteed to work with 001 ;)

Mdev

Postby Mdev » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:34 pm

Great, will do :)

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:12 pm

Hey - if you have specific questions about network messages, ask away. Might want to have a look at this page if you're curious about how certain networking features work: http://engine001.com/wiki/networking

Return to Technical Support Questions