Fangames and Copyright

Tell us about the 001 game you're working on. Show us screenshots. Discuss, promote and share games with others.
Forum rules
If you would like to post about your game, make sure to include screenshots and a long, well-written, thorough description.

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001. Games that are similar to other games, or fan games using commercial games' art are perfectly acceptable.

This forum section is dedicated to the discussion of games made with Map001 only.

You must upload your games to above games section of site. Outside links for games are forbidden in this section.
Minerus

Re: Fangames and Copyright

Postby Minerus » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:44 pm

i mean stuff from this sites resource page. (unless i make all my own stuff which isnt easy) how would i manage to prove that i m not making the citation up? i mean it sounds like everything posted on this site is automatically considered copyrighted, and to use for profit requires citation. that is reasonable to me but how do i prove i am following the rules of copy rights?
RRC

JamX
001 Subscriber

Postby JamX » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:23 pm

All the resources on the site should be owned by people on the forums. (or should be, I think some mods do checks)
The best proof is to have a forum post from someone saying specifically that they have given you the right.

If your still concerned, put a list of all the resources you'd like to use in your games forum page.
Get conformation from all the artists in that thread, and then acknowledge their approval on the front page of your games topic.

If your serious of making a profit off something, I suggest hiring an artist or learning to be one. (It costs money to make it)

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:03 am

Question.

Under what licensing would the resources in the Resource section be under for commercial purposes? I'm guessing Attribution 3.0? Or is it specifically Noncommercial use or is it specific to each user?

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:35 pm

Non-commercial until stated otherwise with permission.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:10 am

And same with the pre-made resources that come with the engine?

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:02 pm

No, they're licensed under the license you agree to when you install the software (which varies if you're a subscriber or not). Regardless, all 001 assets inside of 001 must stay within 001.

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:58 am

While we are on the subject of Copyright permissions and usages etc etc i would like to make one thing clear to everyone within the 001 community. All the custom resources i have made myself and uploaded to the 001 website can be used in your games that you intend to sell, i do not want any credits for the artwork unless of course that is your wish and i do not want a cut of the profits and you do not need to ask me for permission via message.

Sadly my custom artwork is mainly "Platformer" style :/ I will be PM'ing a MOD soon to remove a few resources i uploaded to Engine 001 that are not mine, after which anything i upload after that are for everyone to use. But please use the art within the 001 Editor only.

Any artwork of mine used for something else other that 001 is not permitted ;)

oscartoby

Postby oscartoby » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:39 pm

Ok so if you say used the music to final fantasy 7 in your game.
Didn't charge anyone but uploaded free to play on the net.
Is that breaking copyright?

If you used graphics from another well nown game making program
who specifically state on there site not to use in any other engine.
But again you dont charge and upload for free.
I that breaking copyright?
Would probably annoy them alot but would it be lawfull?

:D :D :D

dragonnutds
001 Subscriber

Postby dragonnutds » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:26 am

oscartoby wrote:Ok so if you say used the music to final fantasy 7 in your game.
Didn't charge anyone but uploaded free to play on the net.
Is that breaking copyright?

If you used graphics from another well nown game making program
who specifically state on there site not to use in any other engine.
But again you dont charge and upload for free.
I that breaking copyright?
Would probably annoy them alot but would it be lawfull?

:D :D :D

it would NOT be lawfull, just because you are releasing it for free dose not make it ok to share.

Eclectic gaming
001 Admirer

Postby Eclectic gaming » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:44 pm

No, it probably would be OK actually. As long as the project is 100% non-profit, and the project isn't completely using Final fantasy assets (Using FF graphics, sounds and logos to make a game). If you were not allowed to use anything from other games, then all fan games would be illegal would they not? If there's no profit involved, there's little risk of copyright infringement, although I guess it varies in different countries.

And I'm no lawyer, so don't take what I say as written truth.
Google Eclectic Gaming....I dare you. Or Sharpened Steel, you can google that too. Hehehehe.

eclectic-gaming.weebly.com/

PreviousNext

Return to Games In Progress