Making A Good 001 Game

Tell us about the 001 game you're working on. Show us screenshots. Discuss, promote and share games with others.
Forum rules
If you would like to post about your game, make sure to include screenshots and a long, well-written, thorough description.

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001. Games that are similar to other games, or fan games using commercial games' art are perfectly acceptable.

This forum section is dedicated to the discussion of games made with Map001 only.

You must upload your games to above games section of site. Outside links for games are forbidden in this section.
Mike
001 Co-Founder

Making A Good 001 Game

Postby Mike » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:31 am

Point List

Clairty
Clashing Graphics
Once Branches
Random Branches
Nice HUD
Take Your Time
Organization
Player Choices
No More GTA Clones
Landscape and Decorations
Make Sense
Deep Story
Learn To Draw, Add Shading
Lighting
Forum Members In Your Game

Checklist

Is your story clear in every way?
Do all your graphics look well together?
Are you using Once Branches to prevent the player from having to read the same thing more than once?
Are you using Random Branches to make the game more dynamic?
Have you taken the time to edit the HUD to make your game unique?
Have you spent more than a month on your demo to perfect it? Have you spent more than three months on your game to make it good?
Are you organized and have a plan?
Are you giving the player choices in order to make the game less linear?
Are you making a game that is not a GTA clone?
Does your story make sense?
Is your story deep?
Is your landscape well made? Do you make use of decorations?
Do you have custom resources with shading?
Are you taking advantage of lighting?
Are you NOT asking people from the forum to be in your game?

If your answer to ANY of these is NO, then you should think twice about releasing your game or demo at this point.

Explanations

Clarity
Theres the games that make no sense, they say things like go to the forest your in a big map with zones taking you different places on every different side, so which side is the forest? - deedasmi

Clashing Graphics
A game I recently played, was like a GTA game, you went around, but then you went into a mario tube.... - deedasmi

Once Branches
Im tired of moving across an area, turning around to look back, and getting spammed with message boxes in the middle of a fight - deedasmi

Random Branches
They are like the delicous ice cream of 001. Instead of making it the same old reward for the same old quest, SPICE IT UP! Ill stop playing a game right quick if I get the same reward every time I play thought the game. I want REPLAY VALUE! One playthrough, I should get an Axe, on the next, I could get an Axe again, or a Super powered sword! - jake.lutze

Mix it up a litle, somone needs to make a good game, with good random loot, extra strong rare drops, multitudes of quests depending on wether you told a citizen to die or run, add some playability to it, keep people playing over and over, trying to get to things they didn't have the luck to get the first time, have multiple different storylines, so instead of 1 20 min game that you close out when your done, how about 1 20 min game that you play 5 or 6 times, where it changes every time - deedasmi

Nice HUD
An important HUD is always good! Make it original and stylish. Not too complected though - Mr.Numbers

Take Your Time
Take your time! A good game takes time to make just like anything else. You don't want to take everything for it and throw it all together and call it done. - 24

Organization
Make a to-do list. List all of your features, resources, media, and quests. Then prioritize them but don't put all of the fun ones to be done first. Put down two boring things then one fun thing. This way when you make your games you won't get bored and cancel your game after get done with the fun parts. - 24

Player Choices
I dont want to play a game that won't let me roam about at my own pace. I should be able to do whatever I want to a certain degree, and alot og games dont do that. I want to be able to use the enemies gun that he had after I killed him, I want to search around for secrets, I want to have an open world. I think if you focus heavily on story, like having a morality system with consequences for your actions or rewards. Dont give me an awesome world with choices and excellent gameplay without giving me consequences, adn chances to explore and gameplay choices. - jake.lutze

No More GTA Clones
Im sick and tired of reading "Like GTA" Or "Open world Crime game" Or GTA in general. GTA was a great hallmark in gaming history, as it still stands today, BUT that doesnt mean you need to do EXACTLY what they did. That will get you flamed, not praised. - jake.lutze

Landscape and Decorations
Decorate your maps! Having just a plain map with grass and buildings isn't going to make me want to play more. Adding random rocks, ponds, trees, logs and flowers will have your map looking beutiful in no time. Things like this make the game world seem that tad more realistio and will absorb the player. - gamer_dude001

Make Sense
Explain the story line properly and be thorough. You can't have one man killed and then the next moment he's alive and well without explaining what happened to him. While your story needs to intrigue the player and make sense, don't go overboard by having heaps of message boxes telling you all this information that you can't take in all at once. Spread it out a little, but not too much. You don't want people forgetting what they're doing. - gamer_dude001

Deep Story
I'd like to emphasize the storyline factor. Having a deep, interesting, involving storyline, that really catches the player (like a TV series) is the most important, in my opinion.

Here's a basic scheme for a rpg game:

------------SIDE QUESTS----------------
PROBLEM =============> SOLUTION
------------DIFFICULTIES----------------

In order to build a story, you need a protagonist and a problem involving him/her, that'll be later solved. - miroki123

Sit down, write out a story line, a time era, and a genre for your game. Then after you do that, start thinking of what fits in with the above. A medieval game shouldn't have lasers! Likewise, in a space game a person shouldn't be using a bow and arrow! - Xzu

Learn To Draw, Add Shading
There are some good resources in the resource section that could be greatly improved if they were shaded! Shading isn't all that hard, it's really simple really. Think of the direction that light is shining on the resource, and make the color light in that spot. If you have a resource that is dark blue, make it a bit lighter towards the source of light. - Xzu

Lighting
Use lighting, please. i hate walking though a game without any variation in lighting- its just unproffesional. take advantage of flickering and strobe features of lighting, especially when around fires orwhen suspence is needed, eg in a broken down zombie hospital.... - evergreenterrence481

Forum Members In Your Game
Everyone wants to be in your game. This makes your game bad. No one wants to play a game where random Internet aliases are the names of all of your important and non-important characters in the game. It is distracting and really weird. Imagine all the people who download your game who don't know these users? No one is actually named "24" or "deeds" or "Taiz" or "miroki123" or etc... in real life, nor in fiction novels or books. - Mike

Post here if you have something good to add: http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6990

Return to Games In Progress