Tilesets: Small or Large?

Discussion pertaining to resources, stories/characters and gameplay ideas in this forum dedicated to games that are just a faint glow.
Forum rules
Do not create a topic offering to produce resources. Click here for the reason.

Please use above resources section of site so everyone can have access to the resources you create.
thebluejester
001 Enthusiast

Tilesets: Small or Large?

Postby thebluejester » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:05 am

Hi All!

I was wonder what people tend to use and why. A few Tilesets with "Expanded" that contain heaps of tiles or lots of small "Flipping" Tilesets?

I'm going with large Tilesets based on the very simple logic that every file specifies what it is and it's structure, headers, that kind of stuff. So a fewer files means less repeating of file type/file information. I should probably test 3 separate "Flipping" files VS 1 "Extended" and work it out for myself.

I also wonder how Small VS Large tileset files effect Memory usage, Video Card usage, stuff like that. Larger files forcing more graphics data to be loaded at one time? Does it work like preloading everything you need or just unnecessary strain?

Just wondering really. Food for thought?

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Re: Tilesets: Small or Large?

Postby Scaveleon » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:08 pm

Tilesets generally don't take up much space or memory by the engine, so I don't see the need to optimize your usage of it. Unless you're trying to make the game run on a toaster, you should be optimizing elsewhere. :)
MIV wrote:It's definitely not The Epic Game of Loladin as the screenshot said.
Nor is it The Epic Game of Loladin Happy Face.

SoundCloud
Project blog

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:04 pm

They both actually use the same amount of data. A flipping/rotating tileset is expanded internally to the size of the expanded/large tileset. (At least, I'm fairly certain as I talked to Mike about this once forever ago)

As well, tilesets are super optimised, I'd say listen to Scav, as it is better to focus on optimising scripting/actors/lighting/etc..
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

thebluejester
001 Enthusiast

Postby thebluejester » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:01 am

Thanks guys!

The only optimization I was personally going for was smallest file size / size on disk. Quicker Downloads in HTML5.

If the Flipping/Rotating graphics are expanded within the engine to be the same as Expanded, doesn't that mean you can fit way more tiles into the same "space" by using expanded? Hmmmm

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:36 am

Expanded is more optimized in that you can store more tiles and thus use less distinct tile sets. But if you're just flipping them in the expanded tileset anyway, then you're better off using a flipping tileset so less memory is used.

thebluejester
001 Enthusiast

Postby thebluejester » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:56 am

Thanks Mike! :D

Sent from my VK700-MAX using Tapatalk
GG Maker Owner. Occasional 001 Subscriber.
Lvl 1 Mage. Chaotic Neutral.
Postgrad Science/IT student. Feed me I'm poor.

Return to Resource, Story and Level Design