Resource Making Tips!

Discussion pertaining to resources, stories/characters and gameplay ideas in this forum dedicated to games that are just a faint glow.
Forum rules
Do not create a topic offering to produce resources. Click here for the reason.

Please use above resources section of site so everyone can have access to the resources you create.
MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Re: Resource Making Tips!

Postby MIV » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:25 am

Scaveleon wrote:Graphic clash

A graphical clash is when you mixture 2 different styles into a single game. Most commonly would be realistic textures mixed with cartoony figures. Because you use both styles, it doesn't hold any style properly. No style means it's harder to achieve immersion.

If you're lucky, the clash is very minor, as they both have approximately the same style, but really, don't take chances and rip Zelda and Crysis or something like that.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Apocalypse I Act I: //////////////////// - 25% Done, Demo v0.3
AVAILABLE: http://www.engine001.com/games/Apocalypse+I+-+Act+I_601.htm
Please play through the full game, or PM me for hints and easter eggs.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

keligorm
001 Supporter

Postby keligorm » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:22 am

I use Paint.net and there is a very useful plugin that I downloaded called bevel. What this does is makes an effect that looks like light is being reflected off the object. Its very usefull for anything that is suposed to be shiny. It can also take alot of work out of shading: so if you have paint.net I highly sugest you get this plugin.

Here is a comparison with the standard 001 sword: (Its kinda hard to see at this size though :( )
Attachments
Sword3.png
See the difference?
Sword3.png (1.92 KiB) Viewed 3137 times
"Hope is the denial of reality"
Raistlin Majere
Dragons of Autumn Twilight

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:20 am

The same can be done with Photoshop, or if you only have a basic drawing program just add on a few darker shades on the sides. Try to imagine what they look like with the shadow.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

The M4 Team Salutes You.

Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

Postby Deedasmi » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:03 am

Ya. some of those simple built in features make things seem so powerful its insane. I had a friend spend 5 minutes in photoshop and turned an image from 2d to this really awsome looking 3d, with an amazing background, etc. Apparently, he hates making graphics. Lol

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:41 pm

Deedasmi wrote:Ya. some of those simple built in features make things seem so powerful its insane. I had a friend spend 5 minutes in photoshop and turned an image from 2d to this really awsome looking 3d, with an amazing background, etc. Apparently, he hates making graphics. Lol

So do I. I get Pierrod to do it, but back on topic.
Scaveleon wrote:Immersion

Immersion is when you feel the world you play in. Seeing as most games lets you go to another world, having your senses to be there can really make a game experience much better. To give the player immersion is pretty much based on what the player likes, but if you want more people to feel immersed to the game, good graphics are important. Very important.

Graphics also have to be designed according to mood. If you intend to have a musty, dark sewer atmosphere for one of your maps, not only must you ensure that lighting and tiles are appropriate, but also the characters. Nobody wants to travel along a nice, dark sewer and see a cute little mouse there with big, anime eyes. That will completely ruin the mood.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

Crusader2
001 Admirer

Postby Crusader2 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:25 pm

Wow, still Stickied and still moderately active. I'm impressed!

Just checkin in to see how my old community is doin, and to ask a mod to update the first post when I can't, as I have very little free time anymore :?

Best Regards,
C2 :duck:
You have been... NOOB SLAPPED!

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:31 am

When you are making tile-sets, make sure that the floor tile is not distracting from the player. You can do this by using colors with little contrast and using colors that is just a little darker than the other tile-sets in the map. (Shades that is further away or further down is darker. Shades that are high up is brighter)
And remember to remove the grid. The grid is when you see that you are not walking on a real map, but on a bunch of tiles. You can see the grid when a part of the floor tile looks different than the rest, and that flaw is being repeated over and over again on the map so you can almost see the "grid" the floor tile is placed on. Sorry for not being able to explain so good :P
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!
All published information about our project will be there
http://shadowsofsephtia.blog.com/

Ciao-Gamer

Postby Ciao-Gamer » Sat May 08, 2010 7:28 am

keligorm wrote:I use Paint.net and there is a very useful plugin that I downloaded called bevel. What this does is makes an effect that looks like light is being reflected off the object. Its very usefull for anything that is suposed to be shiny. It can also take alot of work out of shading: so if you have paint.net I highly sugest you get this plugin.

Here is a comparison with the standard 001 sword: (Its kinda hard to see at this size though :( )

Just to build on this, if you don't have Paint.NET, I strongly suggest you get it. Apart from the useful effects it has a lot more grunt that Microsoft's built in Paint and its completly free.
You need resources?
You want them to blend in with the stock 001 resources?
You need ME!
PM any requests...

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Thu May 27, 2010 3:24 pm

Any professional pixel artist wrote:The gradient tool is evil!

*points at gradient tool*
EVIL!!!!! :evil:

What do you perfer?

This:
3-2.gif
Gradient tool
3-2.gif (713 Bytes) Viewed 3034 times

Or this:
3-3.gif
Hand shaded
3-3.gif (979 Bytes) Viewed 3034 times
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!